Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Pear Dilemma

Between the towns of Lisbon and Mount Vernon, there is a bike path on the shoulder of the road connecting the two towns. Finding that route most convenient, I've biked down this path several times in the last few days when I had things to attend to in Mount Vernon. But you see, there is a nice large pear tree hanging over the head of anyone who might pass by. And as one would expect, a few pears have fallen onto the path. One pear in particular sits right side up in the middle of the path, daring any passerby to eat just a bite.

Now I'll admit, you probably have no idea why I'm referring to this as a "dilemma".  After all, who considers eating a pear off of the ground, especially when there are plenty of other ones right above it still on the tree? (We won't get into the ethical ramifications of stealing pairs off of trees) But sadly, I have no concept of "germs". So this wayward pear looked, quite frankly, quite tasty. Remember that ever time I come across this pear I've usually been biking for awhile, so if not tired I'm at least a little hungry. What better way to satisfy this most basic of human needs than by eating a conveniently placed pear?

After I pass the pear, I notice another one just a few feet past it, with a chunk missing (probably from animals) and inside it was all rotten. Do I gamble on the hope that the other pear is perfectly fine to eat, or do I take heedence from the rotten pear, and just leave it alone. To tell you the truth, I would like nothing more than to take just a small bite of that pear. Just a tiny one. If underneath the skin it was perfectly fine, I would continue to eat the entire pear, for surely no one else would want it. And if it was indeed rotten, I would spit out what I had eaten, and throw the pear away.

Yet each and every time I ride my bike past this pear, and I don't even look back. Now the not looking back part might be for safety reasons (Safety? What?),  but the pear stays in my mind. It takes hold of it, in fact. My mind urges my body to turn around my bike and try the pear. After all, the worst thing that could happen is it that I have a bad taste in my mouth for a moment or two. I know that I would quickly forget the possibly awful taste, and I know that surely allowing my curiosity to be sated would be worth it. Or would it? Or is that the point of the Dilemma of the Pear? To see if I can allow myself to act on my curiosity?

Well, this is kind of random. But you know what? That's okay. AND IT COUNTS ABBY. Oh wait, what? We aren't in the competition anymore and I don't have to be worried about the size or quality of my posts? Cool.

3 comments:

  1. You have a pocket knife, don't you? Couldn't you just gouge out a section to see if it's rotten or not? Stave off all of this philosophical nonsense, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though this is random, I think it's better than a lot of the posts written during the competition, because you didn't have to rush it. I think it's cool that you can sit down and write a whole post about a pear on a path!! Haha :) I think you should take Emily's advice and eat the pear. I mean, when you're 90 years old, you don't want to look back on your life and say, "I wish I had eaten that pear!" Do you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, but Emily, that would be no fun at all!

    And Abby, I'm beginning to really like writing like this without rushing. I'm starting to look forward to when I blog; it is no longer a duty, but an enjoyable activity. :) You are certainly correct. I should go back to that path right now and eat that pear. Peace of mind for the rest of my life hangs in the balance.

    ReplyDelete