Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Iowa Mock Trial State Competition 2012 Part 2

It's been almost two weeks since State, and I've had some to think about the entire Mock Trial experience. Really, each year Mock Trial affects me deeply. I seriously don't know what my personality and character would be like without it. Even though I know technically we still have a celebration party, in truth Mock Trial is done for this year. And that is depressing. But that doesn't take away from how it all affected me.

One of the more infamous parts of this year was the "um bell". Basically, whenever someone said any filler word like "um" or "uh", someone else would ring the um bell. The point of it all being that if everyone was made aware of their frequent "ums", they would be able to control them in the future. Even though I personally haven't ever had a problem with saying "um" (trust me, I have more than enough other problems to compensate), I, along with the rest of my team, are extremely conscience of whenever anyone says "um", even if it be a family member of friend, and it be in an informal situation. An "um" cannot be said without warning bells going off in my head.

Another thing that Mock Trial helped me with: being able to calmly, confidently, and intelligently talk on the fly (such as ad libbing some questions or answering an unexpected objection). I've never had problems with public speaking, but I think we can all agree that thinking quickly in high pressure situations is not the sort of thing that comes naturally. After Mock Trial, any sort of off-the-cuff speaking seems easy in comparison.

And of course, the thing I love about Mock Trial the most is friends. I only got to really know some of my closer friends because of Mock Trial, and each year I get the opportunity to become friends with more and more people. What I've learned about my current group of friends is this: no matter what we do together, it is guaranteed to be enjoyable. So even in the most boring times, just being around everyone was all that I could ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment