Thursday, July 25, 2013

The Harry Potter Series

Long time readers of this blog are aware that for most of my life I had a problem with the Harry Potter series. The main reason that I had never read the series was that I was so convinced that the series was "evil" or something, I just avoided it without giving it a try. My argument that it used "magic" was hardly substantial, as I had no problem with the Chronicles of Narnia series by C.S. Lewis, or any video game with mages or magic. It was not until this last year that I decided to give Harry Potter a try, and I'm very, very glad I did. Just as a note though, if you have not yet read the series (which I highly suggest that you do so right now), this post contains countless spoilers. You have been warned.

The important thing I have noticed about my reaction to the series is how emotionally attached I have become to the characters. I know that this is something that almost every work of fiction strives for: to make the reader feel like he or she is connected to the characters. Many of them achieve that connection, in varying degrees. But never before have I felt so strongly attached to the characters of a series so quickly, and to have that attachment last for the entire span of the series. By chapter three I already wanted to "hit all of the Dursley's on the head with a mallet that has a  large enough gravitational pull to alter the Earth's rotation around the sun for being mean to Harry". When I read about Harry going to the Quidditch World Cup in the Goblet of Fire, I realized that I was legitimately excited about all the excitement and large hoards of people. In fact, I was more excited for the World Cup of a fictional sport than I have ever been for that of a real sport!

This emotional attachment I felt was only destined to grow larger as I read on. In the Order of the Phoenix I was introduced to Professor Umbridge, who I began to detest, hate, and abhor more than any other fictional character I have ever read. It actually took me quite a few weeks to finish the Order of the Phoenix. This is partially because it is the largest seven books, but it was mostly because every chapter or so I would stop reading to fondly daydream about a universe where I could pop into Hogwarts out of nowhere and force Umbridge to write "I will not cruelly torture my students or abuse them in any way" in the same Quill that she made Harry use during his detention. I actually hate Umbridge so much and in such a deep way that I don't really want to watch the movie version of the Order of the Phoenix. Not because I disliked the book, of course, but I have a feeling that if I have to go through that same cycle of intense loathing I would just explode.

It was not just main characters that I became furiously attached with. Fred and George Weasley became to me more than just the immature pranksters that they were in the early books. I realized that they were extremely intelligent, talented, brave, and above all, infallibly loyal. Or Dobby! The little house elf who despite his best intentions is an annoyance and a hindrance in the second book became a savior and a hero in the last book! But if we are talking about character development, it would be an injustice to not mention Neville. In the first book, he was a a frightened and weak little boy. But fast forward to the final book, and in many ways he took the place of Harry as a leader and sign of hope to the children of Hogwarts while Harry was busy hunting Horcruxes! He even beheaded a giant snake!

I adored my ride through these seven books. It was quite truly an adventure, and one that I will miss. My only complaint is that you can only read this series for the first time once.

No comments:

Post a Comment