Saturday, November 27, 2010

My Thoughts On Crude Language

 I don't swear. Ever. I even have careful consideration before I say "darn". Now I don't shun profanity because it could offend someone; after all, it's impossible to go through life without offending the easily offendable. Instead, I believe that the only people who swear, are the people who are to stupid to think up of proper words to explain themselves with. Now I know I just insulted the great majority of North America yet again, but I really dislike the unspoken notion that if you use dirty language you are cooler. Because that is in no way, shape, or form true! In reality, when I hear vulgar words they sound like gibberish that a newborn made up. Now this might be because I hadn't heard a lot of swear words until a few years ago, so they sound foreign. So if you say crude language around me, please don't think it offensive if I don't pay attention to everything else you say; after all, how do I know that isn't gibberish too?

Now I hope that everyone reading this doesn't get the wrong idea, I don't want you to think I'm a little innocent white rabbit that can't take profanity. I don't want you to sensor yourself around me. I would prefer that you just stop swearing altogether, but you shouldn't live a double life.

3 comments:

  1. When it really comes down to things, what exactly is profanity? Why are so-called "profane" words somehow worse than all the rest of the words in one's vocabulary? I think ultimately it is the feelings and thoughts that motivate the word more than the actual four-letter arrangement of letters. Thus, almost any word could become a "swear" if used in such a situation. If this were to be the case, most of us would be quite guilty of such vulgarity. But as society sees it, there are a few select words which we have decided upon that are to be used in crude situations. Overall, I just think the entire notion of swearing is absolute silliness. They are simply words like any others used to express ideas.
    As far as I am concerned I choose not to swear out of a simple common courtesy to others. If others swear in my presence I find an excellent approach is to either ignore them or ridicule them (divine fecal matter!). I do this not so much because I am deeply offended but simply because half the time they do not even realize they are swearing because the words are a common part of their vocabulary.

    Also, you probably should ask people to censor themselves as opposed to sensoring which might be a bit awkward.

    ReplyDelete