Monday, February 27, 2012

It's Only Sexist When A Guy Does It

Before and even during the early 19th century, sexism was a major problem. Woman were regarded as lesser beings, and that was kind of a big problem. But these days the entire situation is reversed. Suddenly it is politically correct to make sure that nothing is "sexist". You would think from the word that by definition it would be being discriminatory based on gender. But for some reason it only applies to males.

The thing that just can't seem to be understood is that men and women are different. That's just a fact of life. One gender isn't necessarily better or worse, and neither is more intelligent. We're just wired differently. That's okay. So why do we as a culture have to be so focused on making everything, and I mean everything "equal"? Take video games. From what I have observed, more boys are into video games than girls. When I start talking about the new free to play League of Legends roster or the best FPS of all time, boys are usually more interested in such subjects than girls. In the same way, most boys (hipsters excluded) aren't going to get super excited about shopping for clothes. Now this doesn't mean that ALL males are into video games, and that ALL females love to shop (PS, girls who aren't addicted to shopping, you have my respect).

Of course, I'm not saying that all boys fit into the "male" stereotype, and that all girls fit into the "female" stereotype. Remember the video game example? Well, there are plenty of exceptions to that general rule. I know several girls who are almost as hardcore gamers as me, which is saying something. This doesn't mean that they are less "female" than any other girl (although they just might be a little more awesome). In the same way, there are a hoard of girls who are into more casual gaming, like a bit of Mario Kart here or there. Of course, playing video games in moderation might just be an example of increased intelligence, but you can be rest assured that I won't go there.... The point is that everyone is truly and wonderfully unique. Lumping people together into one group is only useful in extremely broad situations.

Let's take a moment to look at the family structure in movies and television. If the family is of a more traditional sort, then it is usually portrayed with the parents both being idiots, the mother being smart and the dad being an idiot, or both parents being knowledgeable people who should be respected. Admittedly there is quite a bit of the first going around, yet one of the only places that you can see the third is through reruns of "Leave it to Beaver". So why do we have all these "dumb dads"? Because if the dad was smart and the mother was an idiot then feminists would scream "sexist". <sarcasm> And of course we couldn't have BOTH parents be smart. That wouldn't be interesting! </sarcasm>

Because of this mentality, chivalry is dying. Dear feminists: when we open doors for you we aren't doing it because we have exterior motives. We aren't doing it because we think you are too weak to open the door for yourself. We don't think that you are too dumb to understand how to operate a door. We just do it because we are trying to respect you by being gentlemen. Is that so bad? Now admittedly, I don't usually have the aforementioned opportunity very often, and when I open a door it's usually because I'm near the front of a group and it's just common courtesy to everyone in said group, and if a girl is in the front of the group she would probably do the exact same thing. But you can still see my point.

4 comments:

  1. I think this is one of the best posts you've written in a long time. It's not super short, but it's not so long it gets rambly. And you fit a couple video game references in without me getting totally lost! :)

    So let me just say this. As a girl who is not a feminist, I really appreciate chivalry! Sometimes it's easier for me to just hold the door myself, (like, not having someone force me to go first,) but I definitely do appreciate when guys try to be respectful. I don't think it's bad at all, and I know that there are actually some other girls who share my opinion. :)

    So basically, this was a stupendous post. That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure what to say as a reply to that comment. I guess I could get by with a simple "thanks", but I don't know....

    Hey! How about this?

    It's a plan, Stan!

    Sure, it has absolutely nothing to do with this situation, but that's alright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irrelevant elephant?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Irrelevant elephants are my favorite type of elephant. And I know my elephants.

    ReplyDelete