Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Yup, Mock Trial

Mock Trial. Yes, I realize that Mock Trial has been the subject of more than a few of my previous posts, and I know that it isn't as fancy as the posts my competitions has been doing lately (well, technically she isn't my "competition", but it feels weird to just say "Abby"). But, I don't believe that either of us have actually posted about Mock Trial since it started for this year.

At the beginning of the year, I wasn't quite sure what to think about Mock Trial. Neither of my coached from my first year were still here, and in fact the main coach from last year wasn't here either. Things were so different from last year. A lot of people had graduated, and others just didn't come back (I miss my Teleckies). But I was excited for a lot of the new people (such as Sebastian and Allie), and they turned out to be pretty awesome at Mock Trial. There were some other new people, I have one person in mind right now who I'm not going to name but I can bet you guess, who weren't quite as willing to make a commitment, but we won't get into that.

I must admit, I was disappointed for several reasons when we got the role assignments near the start of the year. First, I wasn't on the same team as Ryan. That was depressing. Second, I only had two roles, and they were some of the shortest roles that I could have possibly have received. It wasn't like it was a major calamity or anything. It was truly a really minor thing, but even those end up working out in the end. Assuming that nothing else changes, I'm going to to not only have a full four parts, but one of those will be a closing. You know, it was probably better that it turned out this way. I might have been a tiny bit too confident before, so I guess being humbled a little bit was probably a good thing.

Anyway, each year has been unique so far. But this year, I honestly think that we have a very good chance of going to state without relying on luck like last year. We've heard do so much from not only college mock trial teams, but actual attorneys who were willing to talk a bit now and then. We seem to be putting proper focus on what counts now (such as making the witnesses more than bland machines who spurt information). With a little bit of spit and polish (minus the spit. This needs to be sanitary), I foresee both our teams very well this year. I mean, it isn't all about winning. Just kidding, yes it is. Kind of a big deal.

I'm excited to see how things will turn out. Mock Trial, as always, is more awesome than I could have thought beforehand. Regionals will be in almost a bit less than half a month. That's a little bit scary, although I honestly think that our team will be ready by then.

2 comments:

  1. I'm kinda nervous about our team...I mean I think that we'll pull it together at some point, but right now, I don't think we're ready. I'm kinda worried about "Freedonia Club" because the accent is quite possibly the tackiest thing ever, and it's during prime time for attorneys to work with their witnesses. If it works out, then I think it'll add to the characters, but I think that we need to work more on our arguments and stuff even more. And I'm slightly annoyed with one particular attorney who isn't doing his work....but it hasn't gotten much better in the past week or two and I think we'll pull it together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not quite sure what to think about "Freedonian Club". Although I guess I'm a little bit more optimistic about it than you. But I do agree, the attorneys and witnesses need to be working together a lot more. I guess that's why I like the fact that from now on we will scrimmage every Thursday. Although now that I think about it, it's true that we won't have many Thursdays left.

    As for our arguments, I think we've put a ton of effort, if not too much, into that. Right now the witnesses need to learn to be comfortable on the stand, and attorneys need to learn to be comfortable asking questions and answering objections.

    About that one attorney.... Do you think yelling at him would work?

    ReplyDelete