Thursday, August 4, 2011

Being A Nerd

I'm a nerd. A big one. And yet at the same time, a dumb one. Like someone who spends all their time and energy on something and yet only excels on SOME things. After spending a day of playing MineCraft, reading several hundred webcomics, and laughing hysterically at abridged series after abridged series, I think yet again of how big a nerd I am. I seriously haven't exercised for forever. I'm a pile of bones that fly across a keyboard making my wants realities (figuratively speaking) on a virtual plane. Except going to an Anime Convention, which is basically as nerdy as you can get, I have had minimal hum contact in the last month. Hours and hours are invested in various nerdy activities, how could I go back now? I have reached and passed the point of no return. Less and less do I care about the opinions of other people. Seclusion and solitude are a solace.

Once I had a few young children (about 3rd and 4th grade) ask if I was a nerd. I replied in affirmation. Still, they wouldn't take my word for it. They discussed if I was a "nerd" or if I was "cool". I simply wondered why I couldn't be both. Finally they reached the conclusion that I was "cool", which I guess is good for me. But again, I think, why do we think that I can't be both? And I'm happy to say that I don't care if I'm the latter.

1 comment: