Sunday, August 7, 2011

My Writing Is Going Slow

You know how I mentioned Camp NaNoWriMo before? Well, we are a week into it and I am far behind the pace. I should be at 11k, and I am merely at 6k. Sad. Although I know that I am going to finish, not doing so is not an option. The only question is how much catching up, and how miserable it will be, I will have to do later. My particular story is about a young French boy in the early 18th century who's father is fighting in one of the Napoleonic wars. His mother then dies and he is forced to live in an orphanage. The simple seed of the idea was given to me by Ryan in exchange for me suggesting something for his novel. Actually, the original seed did not mention what war it was and where and when this took place. So at first I placed it in the civil war. But, it was not to long before I changed the scene to France. I think that part of the reason for this is because all of the last three novels of note I have read/have been reading took place in France (Les Miserable, The Stranger, The Count of Monte Christo). So perhaps I was more fit to take on their culture.

The protagonist of the novel is a nine year old boy by the name of Victor. Although in many ways I modeled him after myself (enjoys solitude, is considering being a hermit, like running around in the rain, has no artistic ability) one thing is clearly different; he's a philosopher. Yup, at the age of nine. See, I tried a style similar to in Les Miserable; instead of devoting every second to the story itself I am free to discuss philosophy whenever I want. It makes great filler material.

I have been having some difficulty with this novel because obviously, it's not going to be very exciting. The chance of an action scene is very, very low. Though this temporarily disheartened me, in reality this is a very good thing. It is forcing me to write differently than I normally do and thus expand on my ability.

4 comments:

  1. When you finish, I want to read this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps. But due to how rushed I am, the quality of writing isn't amazing :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess. Here's hoping that it doesn't turn out pitifully....

    ReplyDelete