Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Art Of Making Good Usernames

To join a website these days, you have to have a username. Sadly, there is more to it than just typing in "GregoryLOLOLOLOL___72". Actually, if your username is anything like "GregoryLOLOLOLOL___72", I will find you. And teach you proper username making technique (wait, that's what I'm doing right now!).

I have had plenty of usernames in the past, and a few are a little N00bish. Actually, of all the usernames I've ever had, I can only think of four of them that were any good. Still, I've come a long way since then :)

Whatever you do, DON'T put ANY underscores or numbers in your username. I know on sites like Ebay if the username you chose hasn't been taken, they might give you a substitute one that's really, really bad. Still, many people choose them anyway, not caring what there username looks like.

Use real words, but if the word you want isn't there, change the word up a bit so that it still resembles the original word, but it has its own style. For example, if you liked the word "emerald" but it was already taken, you might use "endarald". I mean, you wouldn't want your username to be "table", but there are plenty of other good words out there. Even better, put words together to make a sentence that is to your liking. (NOT using underscores).

Don't put your name in the username, and don't use your initials. My mom hasn't figures out how to properly make a username yet, and I once saw one that she had made for a website. It was "Marcialady". I think she might of had some underscores and numbers after it too. Learn from her mistake, and never, never do that. It looks really bad. (You don't care that I use you as an example, right Mom? No hard feelings?)

One thing that can look pretty cool is using words from Greek or some other foreign language.

Think up a name that you like, and use it in as many places as you can. For example, a username that I try to use as much as possible  is "Tamerlein". This happened to be a green rider sword from the Inheritance (Eragon) Cycle. I like it a lot, but it isn't perfect because every now and then someone else already made an account with that name, and I either have find a new one or change the letters a bit (like "Tamerlion" instead of "Tamerlein"). Luckily, this doesn't happen very much.

This post won't guarantee that you will make a good username, but (hopefully) it will make think a second before using the first username that pops into your head.

2 comments:

  1. But I'm sure that Abbidabbidooloo is the best username ever! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, it is a very good one. When I looked Ryan's blog username though, that gave me a little inspiration for this post. (You violated about a bazillion rules, buddy)

    ReplyDelete