Monday, May 2, 2011

Osama Bin Laden

As many of you know, Osama Bin Laden was recently killed by by some U.S. soldiers, after a manhunt of gigantic magnitude that took almost ten decades. Usually, I wouldn't hear about information like this at all (and if I did, it would be weeks and weeks after the event happened), if not for the fact that my status feed on facebook is filled with dozens of  overjoyed people celebrating his death. I understand that he was a terrorist, and he caused a lot of pain for a lot of people, but does he deserve us spitting on his grave?

To be fair, some just say it as a statement if fact. Others wish that we could all have a big party to celebrate it, but I have yet to see one that was remotely sympathetic.  Didn't the guy have family? (If the U.S. hasn't killed them yet, that it).

So far I have been pretty cynical towards the U.S. (some of it for good reason). But what are my feelings right now? Part of me is glad that he can no longer cause any more pain (although the next leader of the al Qaida might be even worse). But, I also wish that there could of been some other solution, besides simply assassinating him.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that we should commemorate his deeds, or dumb the evilness of his deeds down. I think that that would be wrong. I just think that we should give ANY life, no matter how misguided or sinful that person was, respect. I'm also not defending him, he did some very bad things. I just think that we all can have a better attitude about it.

1 comment: