Thursday, May 26, 2011

Sports


I was watching my little brother, Stephen, in his first baseball game of the season (he plays in a parks and rec league), and it got me thinking about sports. As both of my competition can attest, if you have an idea for a post, use it. Because you won't get many others...

Believe it or not (if you say "not", I'll hurt you) I used to play sports when I was younger. I don't know when I actually became the nerd I am. It's not I don't like sports, it's just that I can't play at a highschool level (I pwn junior highers, though). And non-competitive sports are nice. Playing football before play practice was usually fun, and I don't mind playing other games with friends as well.

When I was in fifth or sixth grade (I don't remember exactly), I decided to join Little League Baseball. This was in Canada, of course, but I assume that it is the same structure. Before I started, my parents bought me and my brother (he was on a tee-ball team) baseball equipment. I still use the glove they bought me then, and it fits like a dream. I decided that I wanted to be a pitcher. We set up this pitching thingamigitcher, and even though I didn't practice very much, I thought I was ready.

I still remember this clearly. When my we first met my coach, he said that he liked to give people a chance to play different positions. In my young and naive mind, that basically meant that "Yeah, you can pitch". Of course, I very quickly learned that only people that athletic ability could pitch. This didn't actually bother me too much, because I had fun on third base when they didn't stick me in outfield.

My team wasn't the, uh, most capable team. In fact, out of the entire season, we only won one game. Whether this is a coincidence or not, I don't know, but I was absent that game. Yes, the ONE game my team won, I wasn't there. Ouch.

I've moved past competitive sports. Nowadays, I enjoy spending my leisurely time coding, such as learning HTML (I'm currently a beginner), CSS (intermediate skill level), and PHP (basically no skill level, I've barely started).

No comments:

Post a Comment