Sunday, June 12, 2011

Grammar and Punctuation

One thing that I can't comprehend is why so many fellow teenagers refuse to use proper punctuation in everyday communication.

Okay, that came out more nerdy than I planned. But it makes hardly any sense. For the most part, the only time virtual shorthand will be used is while in adolescence. So, why not practice using proper grammar, and thus have practice when writing is necessary?

I'm not being arrogant in this instance, I'm just wondering how hard it would be to capitalize your "i"'s and an apostrophe when needed. I'm not even saying that you have to use semicolons all the time (although trust me, it's fun).

Let us focus our attention on "LOL". Last I checked, "LOL" is not in the dictionary. So, that means that it is not a word. Yet, the use of it is prolific. There seems to be quite a few people that cannot go two sentences without typing "LOL". Honestly, how many times have you laughed out loud to something on the computer. Maybe a little, maybe a lot, but not every time that "LOL" is said. Really, how hard is it to express this emotion of laughter with real words? You could even say "Laughing out loud". It isn't really that hard to type.

Perfect grammar and punctuation is not what I am asking for. If you read my blog, you know that I make plenty of errors. What I really want, I guess, would be for more people to at least TRY to be literate in more instances.

Am I ranting? Probably. But, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

4 comments: