Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Jungle Book (A Marion Homeschool Production)


I recently watched the Jungle Book Marion Homeschool Musical on DVD. I happened to decide to watch this old preduction on a whim, I saw in my facebook feed a friend mentioning to another about this particular play. I of course, didn't know he had been in it. A similar experience with someone else had happened at the start of the school year, so I finally put my procrastination aside, took out the DVD, and watched it.

Now, we did this play in 2007 (I was in sixth grade). My family had just moved from Canada, and I didn't know a single person when I joined the play. It was a middleschool muscial, so I was one of the older kids. Due to this, I happened to get a larger part, the villain of the tale: Shere Khan the tiger. So, this is where I started meeting friends. A good pal of mine, Paul, also got one of the main roles: Baloo the bear. Watching the play now, I'm struck by how good an actor Paul was, even at the age. The body language was absolutely perfect.


This was the the first play that I had ever been that had not been a church play, even though I had done those for years. So I was increasingly surprised to learn that not only would there be three performances, but we we would sign autographs for the audience afterwords. This was wildly different from anything I had ever done before.

It is impossible to reminisce about the Jungle Book without mentioning my character, Shere Khan. Now I was quite pleased to have a villains role, although my enthusiasm was slightly dampened when I discovered that I had to have all sorts of makeup and nasty things. Not to mention that my costume was like a giant suit of pajamas with ears.

There are legions of people that I'm good friends with now, and were in Jungle Book, but I didn't know them then. It's fun rediscovering people.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness the pictures are great!! Sebastian looks like a cat died on his head or something lol.
    And your tiger costume is AWESOME :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that wig of his was weird.

    Thanks. It looks so silly now...

    ReplyDelete