Saturday, June 4, 2011

Perla Vardo, Thoughts About The Series

8,718 words. 16 installments. I never thought that it would go on for this long. Really, this has been a great experience. Part of me wishes that I had a more impressive word count, just for bragging rights (not that I would care about that), but I'm happy with it in in the time that I had, and how busy I was. I think now I'll explore how it went on behind the scenes.

First of all, I was as mystified with the plot as you guys were. For the majority of the writing, I had no idea where I was going, and just let it flow and hope that an okay result came out. For example, I might make something that has to do with the plot (like the dream Perla had with all of those deaths), and then I just expand from that, even though I don't know where I'm going.

When I was lazy or short on time, I often would insert filler material. Maybe introduce a new character that doesn't really do anything or make a long patch of dialogue that is meant for humour only.

I have to say, I was disappointed with the ending. I really thought that I could have pulled off something better than that. But, I can't change it now. That's the thing with blog writing, once I write something and publish it, all facts are canon and set in stone.

It was more enjoyable than expected the control I had over the characters. I wanted to kill them off? Okay. I want to bring them back? Okay. I can do whatever I want, it's a great feeling of control.

I wish that the plot was more uniform throughout the entire story. Sadly, this wasn't always possible. At times, I might (Gasp!) forget things I wanted to tie in, and of course as previously mentioned, once I publish the post...

I want to thank Ryan for his unending support and constructive criticism. Thanks for taking the time to read through it, buddy :)

1 comment:

  1. Glad to do it, John! Very well done. You've improved significantly whilst writing the Perla Vardo series - your later installments are ten time as excellent as the first few that you wrote, so much so that I would recommend you read it all the way through again! Keep this up, and NaNoWriMo will be a breeze!

    In Christ,
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete