Saturday, July 30, 2011

Anime Iowa: Day One

So the Anime Iowa convention yesterday was amazing. I had a great time, and I am excited to know that I have two more days of nerdyness. Upon the sight of seeing so many people dressed with purple wigs and large fake swords, I couldn't help but feel proud of my people. Of course, wherever there is cosplay, there is crossplay. When walking past a person and you have thoughts about whether they are male or female, seriously, don't think about it. Seriously.

After walking around the hallways for awhile having people take pictures of me and my sister, watching a panel about translating anime and manga from Japanese, and hanging out with some friends of my sister from college, I went to a program called "Basic Cosplay fighting". It was a three hour workshop consisting mostly of fake grappling. So me and a partner for three hours had to run around fake wrestling. Now my poor, pathetic body wasn't prepared for such an athletic event. I hadn't even remembered that it was three hours, I thought it was one or something. So it was fun, but I am most definitely sore now.

In addition to some food you could pay for, there was a good amount of free junk food. Now we were cautioned that the junk food was not a replacement for a real meal. But do you know what? They lie.

Then there was the 24/7 video game room. After walking in my mind was blown: everywhere there was televisions hooked up to all sorts of video game systems, and everywhere there was gamers mashing buttons like crazy. It was heaven. Even though when I got there there was no no extra spots for me, due to the atmosphere of the room where people constantly sit down, play a bit, and then leave, I was able to play after waiting a few minutes. I'll tell you, nothing else feels quite like sitting down and playing Super Smash Bros Brawl next to Mario. Ah...

No comments:

Post a Comment