Thursday, July 14, 2011

Harry Potter

As you might have gathered, my competition is fairly into the Harry Potter series. As I write this, I believe that she is at the premier for the latest, and last, movie. Now I've never read any of the books, and I've only watched tiny pieces of the movies. Although my experience is meager, I will try to explain why I have refrained from getting into Harry Potter. After this, I would like to challenge my competition to refute my argument in a post in a unbiased way. Note the emphasis on unbiased. If you agree (and if you don't want to, you don't have to) it should have both pros and cons. And please correct any errors I have here, as I said, I don't know that much about the series.

The Harry Potter world is built on a foundation of sorcery. Witchcraft. Magic. Now that may or may not be a bad thing. For example, there is magic in C.S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia. But in that work it is presented in such a way that I believe is agreeable to the Bible. Partially because it is a Christian allegory. What about magic in Harry Potter? Is it occult magic, or fantasy magic? That is really the main thing that dictates if Harry Potter is acceptable or not.

From what I gather, in the series they denounce "dark magic". Now what this all implies, I have no idea. Is the occult the dark magic, or is all magic occult-like, and dark magic is simply a strain? I would say that all of it is wrong. Here is one section of the Bible that has to do with sorcery (trust me, there are plenty others).

“When you come into the land which the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominations of those nations. There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire [an ancient occult practice], or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination [detestable] to the LORD…”
—Deuteronomy 18:9-12a

Witchcraft, check. Sorcerer, check. Conjuring spells, definitely. Notice the language here: Abomination, or detestable. Pretty strong words.

Again, I don't know too much, but there seems to be some life after death in Harry Potter. At first glance that is good, but it seems to be a "by works" mentality. The good guys have a great time, the bad, not so much. There is much more to say about this, but I cannot due to my lack of knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment