Sunday, July 17, 2011

My Thoughts On Romance

Hormones: Despicable creatures that attempt to alter one's perception of the world. Luckily, if one has been in the routine one's whole life, they can easily be ignored.

That pretty much sums up my view of love. As I progress through the teen years, more and more friends begin "relationships". I of course see it as quite silly. First of all anything of that sort, either courting or dating, is usually meaningless in the teen years. Try college, guys. Or even better, stay single your whole life. Wouldn't that be cool? I'm probably the only person I know that has (and still does) seriously considered being a hermit in the wilderness. The only hindering factor right now is that I couldn't bring my laptop. Perhaps if I found a quaint cave near a McDonalds...

And what about on Facebook? On your profile there is an "interested in" option. You can either check the box for "Men" or "Women". Now the fact that you would even be able to check the same box as your gender completely disgusts me, but that's not the point. I, and many other people, simply don't check a box at all. But why isn't there third option that relays the idea that relationships aren't your thing? Why do they assume that you want one?

Still, my kind isn't that uncommon. There are plenty of teenagers out there that agree that relationships, proms, dances, crushes, break ups, they are absolutely ludicrous. But, eventually they will "mature", so to speak. Join the rest of the population in thinking that romance isn't actually bad. But, what about the holdouts (like hopefully myself)? It's easy to say now that you never plan to get married, but how many people will actually stay that way? I am deathly afraid of the day that I'll wake up from bed and think "Hmm, I think that my zero-tolerance relationship policy is odd, I think that I'll change that." Perhaps I am too young to make an opinion. After all, how many people believe the little boy that says that "Girls are icky" will stay that way is whole life?

So, drop me in a inhabited stretch of jungle with my laptop, an internet connection, and a companion cube. Then I'll be all set :)

8 comments:

  1. I'm saving this to read at your wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know who you are Emily, but you're awesome. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and by the way, are you serious about wanting to be a hermit!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily is my sister :)

    And actually, yes I am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At the moment, I don't know, but I've seriously considered the scenario on many recent occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's what I was thinking. :)

    Well that's interesting. I've never met anyone serious about it before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right now anyway. It's possible in the future I will "mature" and be more "normal". Boy do I hope not...

    ReplyDelete
  8. BEING NORMAL IS NOT A BAD THING.

    ReplyDelete