Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Camp NaNoWriMo Plot Ideas

As I already mentioned before, the camp version of NaNoWriMo is coming up in a few days. Sadly, I am without a plot. I've tried to reserve time to think about it, hoping inspiration would strike,  but alas nothing of the sort has happened. At this point I wish to organize my thoughts, and try to decide the best one.

First of all, I know that I'm not going to going to do a fantasy novel. I'm currently co-authoring one with Ryan (as I have repeatedly mentioned in the past), and I wish for a change of pace, so to speak. To go into unfamiliar territory. You see, even though Camp NaNoWriMo requires the same amount of verbage as normal NaNoWriMo, I will always think of it as "practice". Thus, I am free to explore new ideas and fresh ways to write without being worried about quality too much.

I then asked myself if I should write a mystery novel. I do enjoy reading them, and the descriptions of people, places, and things could be fun. Not to mention having an intense plot. But, I'm leaning away from that now. First of all, I'm not going to plan for the novel. As I always do, I just write and hope that something somewhat literate comes out. Not to mention, I would have diffdifficulty accurately describing how a crime scene would be handled, because if I did a mystery I would want it to be of that sort of nature.

Next, how about a survival novel? Two of my favorite books are "Gary's Winter" and "My Side of the Mountain". Both of them describe living out in the wild. One being a tale of survival, and one of solitude and appreciating nature. But, what do I know of subjects like that? I could research, sure, but it wouldn't feel real to the reader. And I have a feeling that it would end up being pretty boring.

Now what about a silly story, with no plot? Mostly consisting of fancy words strung together in long and quite humorous sentences. Well, that too most likely wouldn't turn out great. That sort of thing makes a short story fantastic, but I think that longer novels are much better suited for more serious plots.

Ah, this is quite the arduous process. I still have no idea whatsoever what I am going to end up doing. Oh well....

1 comment: