Saturday, July 16, 2011

Art

I can't draw. Literally, not at all. I can do stick figures, but they aren't that very good so I doubt that they count. Do to my inability to draw even a straight line, I don't do art that much. On the other spectrum, I have several friends that can draw life like things very quickly, in any situation. In the meantime I sit in the corner and groan about my lack of talent in this field. But, as anyone will tell you, there is more to art than just drawing. Someone who is really "artsy" might say something along the lines of it being a way to express one's creativity. Thus it is not confined to things that you feel, see, and smell. How about art with words? Writing? A common adage is "A picture is worth a thousand words". I disagree. A picture can put you into a scenario, thrusting you into what the creator envisioned, and making it seem real. But a well written selection of words can do so much more. It can explain feelings, emotions, pulling you into the world that the author is describing. People, places, things, they are all wondrously and intricately put together into what we call a story.  If done correctly, good writing allows the reader to use their imagination to explain all the wondrous things that they are reading about, instead of it being set in stone with a picture.

More artsy than I intended... And no, I did not exaggerate the descriptions of my artistic talent. It's sad, really. 

1 comment:

  1. May I just say that both Victor Hugo and J,K. Rowling are amazing at writing artistically ;)

    ReplyDelete