Friday, July 22, 2011

Writers Block

Writers Block. Good stuff. As I'm sure you know, the last few days have been ridiculously hot and humid. Sadly, these things give me writers black. The inability to write, or at least taking much longer to get an idea to fruition than otherwise. Although this mostly applies to my writing with Ryan, in which my continued procrastination and then taking forever to write anything, now that it is time to blog it applies to this too. It's kind of sad, really. The last few days I didn't have much trouble finding ideas to blog about, and then expanding upon those ideas. Not so today. But, all writers have to live with this. At times under fits of inspiration, the language pouring out of you onto the page, it is a great thing. And then I get to periods like this... when I can't think... and it's not fun....

But hey, inspiration can still come my way, despite the lightheadedness from all the heat. Take this beautiful thunder storm, for example. Now I do my best writing when I feel what my characters feel, imagining what it would be like. Well, during this thunder storm I can't help but want to write a portion of a story with rain in it (sadly, I didn't get around to it. The lightning illuminating everything around me, so that for a half second it is as bright as day. The thunder, noisy and disruptive. So loud that you can't think. But then, the storm is over. it passed. The once enormously loud thunder is but a faint rumbling in the distance. What was it like? Can I even remember? Can I take back that intensity and put it into words? No, not right now. Not in this state of mind. Why writers block, why?

2 comments:

  1. This storm was SOOOO cool :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just did, John!!! :D

    "The lightning illuminating everything around me, so that for a half second it is as bright as day. The thunder, noisy and disruptive. So loud that you can't think. But then, the storm is over. it passed. The once enormously loud thunder is but a faint rumbling in the distance."

    Looks like you recalled the feeling perfectly :) I feel your pain, though :'( Writer's Block isn't fun.

    ReplyDelete